It’s Peggy here, with a surprising way to avoid the Swine Flu.
I know, I know — you’re probably as sick of hearing about it as I am!
But: there is one simple thing you can do to make sure you avoid getting sick.
Can you guess what it is? Hint: it’s not washing your hands, though that is definitely a good tip. But all the hand washing in the world won’t work if you don’t do this:
Get a good night’s sleep!
Yep! As simple as it sounds, getting a good night’s sleep is THE BEST WAY to keep your immune system strong.
You see, when you’re sleeping, your body is healing and repairing itself.
Being run-down from lack of sleep, poor nutrition, and too much stress is a sure recipe for illness, whether it’s from the Swine Flu or just whatever cold is going around.
Here are my top 5 best ways to avoid getting sick:
1. Get enough sleep (aim for 8 hours, getting to bed before 11:00 pm, when the “wake-up” hormone cortisol starts to be released, peaking around 6:00 am or so).
2. Stay away from sugar, caffeine, greasy foods and anything processed. Sugar is the worst because the body sees it as an invader (just like bacteria) and will send all the white blood cells after it to destroy it. Those white blood cells should be fighting off illness!
3. Exercise, but not too vigorously. If you’ve been following the Yoga for Surfers programs, you’re doing great! But always listen to your body and take a break when you need to. Over-exercising actually weakens your immune system, making you more susceptible to getting sick.
4. Change your sheets and towels frequently (and wash them in the hot water). Change your toothbrush at least once a month and keep it very dry in between use. Bacteria thrive in a moist environment, and viruses can live 24-48 hours on most surfaces.
5. Have fun! Enjoy yourself and spend time with friends. Do the activities that bring you joy. Studies show that a positive outlook is one of the most important things when it comes to staying healthy!
For more tips on healthy living, listen in on some of my previous wellness shows on the ABC Radio Network. But do so quickly, because soon that will become a membership-only page.
I’ll be sending out more info the “Peggy Hall Health Club” very soon! It will be your best source for more great tips on how to feel better, look better and live better!
In the meantime, have fun and stay well!
And please forward this info to a friend who could use it!